Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

limiting menu access

edited January 2013 in Apps

I would like to restrict access to menu items (or just hide them) to a limited admin user type. This, for example, might see only Posts and Users.

How can I do?

Comments

• What I usually do is create a block for a secondary menu to live in and just build it as a bulleted list in the block editor. Then I limit its access under Extra Options in the block edit form. You can then style the list via CSS to match the site.

• I'm afraid I did not understand.

I created a menu accessible only to the user "manager" and in this I have added links to pages that it should use (All Pages, Users, Navigation) but the user "manager" is unauthorized to open them.

I would not give "admin" privileges to the user "manager".

• Ah, now I understand what you mean. I'm afraid Elefant's admin tools are currently accessible to all admin users. There's no fine-grained access control for admins yet, only the for pages, blocks, etc. on the front-end of a site. It is something we plan to add in a future version, but haven't had a chance to solve yet.

• It would be enough for me to hide the admin bar if the user name is different from...

Could that be done in the layout?

• I've put together an example of how that could be done:

https://gist.github.com/jbroadway/4732539

This could be extended to be easier to use (adding a UI to edit the list for each role, for example), but it should be enough to get it working.

• Thank you very much for your great work and the equally great support.

Whereas the poor man must be able to manage users I made ​​a small change to what you suggested. Rather than use the role I just check the admin name and make visible the full admin only to himself.