Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

CRUD

edited July 2012 in Documentation

I am reading the CRUD documentation. Can you explain a bit to me in non-technical terms what this would be used for...benefits...etc. I am trying to understand it and what I have read so far seems to make some sense to me.

Thanks

Comments

• It's more generally a great starting point for a lot of apps. Say you wanted to create a "blog" app.

You would simply need to do conf/elefant crud-app post id title author date post and the command would generate all the necessary forms and code for a simple app that allows you more or less create new database entries, see all the database entries, update and or delete any of the entries. I use it more to quickly prototype and build the simpler parts of new apps, it writes most of the boilerplate stuff that is just copy and paste most of the time anyways.

• So should I have done that before I copied the coding you gave me a while back for the blog app? Or did I not need to do that because the blog app was already included? And do I do this for apps that pertain to needing tables in the database created and for storing information?

• The code i gave you for the blog app was something that the "crud-app" command would NOT have built. It was a feature that you'd have to build from hand no matter what.

And correct, you would only use this for a new app that would need to have a table in the database. This essentially just streamlines building the "boilerplate" code that almost any app that utilizes a database table would need at some point to save the information or get it out and display it.

• I am focusing on learning code because without it, none of this will ever truly make sense.

• Nope it won't. And the crud-app utility is pretty useless if you don't actually code anything custom on top of it. It's basically like starting with building bricks to build a building, as opposed to raw clay that you would have to hand form into bricks.